Mother’s Ruin ! From Death & Co.’s David Kaplan
8 white sugar cubes
2 ounces club soda
4 ounces Plymouth gin
2 ounces cinnamon-orange tea–infused sweet vermouth (mix 3 tablespoons of cinnamon-orange tea with one bottle of sweet vermouth, let stand for 1½ hours, then strain)
4 ounces grapefruit juice
2 ounces lemon juice
3 ounces dry Champagne
6 grapefruit wheels, for garnish
In a pitcher, muddle the sugar cubes with the club soda until the sugar is fully broken up. Add the remaining ingredients (except the Champagne and the garnish) and fill the pitcher three-quarters full with ice cubes. Stir until cold, then strain into a punch bowl over one large block of ice. Top with Champagne, garnish with the grapefruit wheels and ladle into glasses.
Silver-Tequila Martini !
Recipe photo courtesy of Kate Mathis,
- 2 ounces silver tequila,
- ½ ounce dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons fresh pink-grapefruit juice, plus a wedge and a twist for serving
- 10 to 12 dashes grapefruit or orange bitters,
- Edible silver flakes and sanding sugar, for serving
- 1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add tequila, vermouth, grapefruit juice, and bitters. Cover and shake several times.
- 2. Stir together silver flakes and sugar on a small plate. Run grapefruit wedge along the rim of a chilled martini glass. Dip rim in sugar mixture to evenly coat. Strain tequila mixture into glass, add grapefruit twist, and serve.
To chill a martini glass, fill it with ice, then cold water. Let it stand 5 minutes, then drain.
The “White Pumpkin” Cocktail !
From She keeps a lovely home
- 1½ ounces white rum
- 3 ounces unsweetened vanilla/almond milk
- 1 tsp. honey
- Pumpkin spice – a teeny, tiny dash
- Pour 1½ oz. white rum and 3 oz. vanilla/almond milk into a shaker with ice and add 1 tsp. of honey. Shake vigorously and pour into a frosted coup glass. Sprinkle with a teeny bit of pumpkin spice. Garnish with a lovely, delicate, wispy flower sprig.
Notes: If you don’t have pre-mixed pumpkin spice, you can make your own. It’s 3 tbsp. of cinnamon, 2 tsp. ground ginger, 2 tsp. ground nutmeg, 1½ tsp. ground cloves.
Morticia Addams Cocktail !
From She keeps a lovely home
- 2 ounces dry sake
- 1 ounce Sorel liqueur
- Splash of hard cider
- Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice, shake vigorously and pour into a frosted martini glass.
- Garnish with something delicately spooky
Spiced Pear and Bourbon Cocktail !
- 3 oz. bourbon of your choice
- 1 oz. apple brandy
- 2 oz. spiced pear simple syrup
- ½ oz. fresh squeezed orange juice
- In a cocktail shaker, add a handful of ice cubes, and all ingredients directly into the cocktail shaker.
- Cover tightly with the lid, and shake vigorously until the ice is broken and the outside of the shaker is frosty; about 15 – 30 seconds.
- Strain into a coupe glass over crushed ice, or strain “neat” (no ice) into a small rocks glass.
- Enjoy cold!
Hanky panky !
From the Downton Abbey cocktail book,
1½ fl oz (45 ml) gin
1½ fl oz (45 ml) sweet vermouth
2 dashes Fernet-Branca
Orange twist about the size of a thumb, for garnish
- Combine the gin, vermouth, and Fernet in a mixing glass filled with ice and stir until well chilled, 20–30 seconds. Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Express the orange zest over the drink and drop it into the glass.
Angel’s Tit !
- ¾ ounce maraschino liqueur
- ¾ ounce heavy cream
- 1 barspoon Fernet Branca
- 1 barspoon Cherry Heering
Combine all ingredients in a mixing tin and shake with ice.
Strain into a chilled small cocktail glass.
Garnish with cherry.
Mikki Kristola, The Streamliner Los Angeles
Photo: Lizzie Munro